Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

My Hardware Weekend

       So this weekend I had plans to go to a few local flea markets and see if I could scoop up some restoration projects. I had no idea it would prove as fruitful as it did.
       I went to 3 total and picked up well over a dozen razors, DE , SE and Injectors. I also picked up a half dozen or so vintage brushes inclusing a beautiful (or what will be a beautiful) EverReady Green bakelite bottom, black top brush which seems to be very desirable these days. I picked up a matching one with a red bottom as well.
      I will say this, people are catching on as the demand for these items increases. A couple years ago I would have gotten what I did for 1/2 to 1/3 of what I paid for it today. I suppose just like anything else the basic principles of economics, supply and demand, still hold true.
       The restoration side of WetShaveObsession is a bit under the radar so to speak, yet on my Etsy store I cant keep razors in stock. It seems as soon as one is posted within a day or 2 it is gone. It is also a side of WetShaveObsession I take great pride in. The satisfaction of restoring a vintage razor or brush is an incredible feeling. Often times the hardest part is getting rid of the item after you have spent hours into it, returning it to or often beyond its former glory. I will say this the wife definitely helps with me getting rid of them LOL.
       One of the coolest things with vintage shaving brushes is that with the current knots available your can make it look like brand new, yet perform better than it did new. Im considering putting together vintage starter DE shaving sets. A vintage restored razor, like a Gillette Tech or a Schick Krona, A restored Ever Ready brush. A combination Razor and Brush stand ( I have about a dozen of them I picked up) A WSO Soap and a Lathering Mug. I think it would be nice to give the new wetshaver an opportunity to enter wetshaving with a top quality vintage shaving set. The other nice thing is it really would no only be for the beginner. At any rate im giving it some thought and weighing out the option. If anyone has any thoughts on this please feel free to email me with them at jim@WetShaveObsession.comjim@wetshaveobsession.com or hit me up on twitter: @WetShaveObsess.
       All in all while the main focus at WetShaveObsesssion is software such as Shave Soaps, Pre-Shave Oil and Aftershave, the restoration side is alive and well and given the joy I derive from it, it always will be!
       Enjoy Your Shaves!
       Jim@WetShaveObsession

No comments:

Post a Comment