Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2014

WSO Shave of the Day!

Saturday 4/12/2014
WSO Restored Kama 5/8" Full Hollow Ground
2012 Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive 25mm Horse Hair Brush
WSO Mentholated PSO
WSO Lime Ultimate Skincare Premium Shave Soap
WSO Lime Ultimate Skincare Premium Aftershave Blash 

       So I have decided every Sat or Sun will be a straight razor shave day. The main thing that prevents me from shaving with a straight more often is time, or I should say the time it takes me to do it. I can tell you the last time I shaved with a straight razor almost to the day, It was they day before my Etsy Store went live. The reason being I had a Bingo Vintage Straight I had restored and was listing for sale and I wanted to be 100% certain that it was shave ready. I used it, it was. I finish stropped it and that was the last time I did a straight razor shave.
       The story here is actually much the same. I picked this Kama up to restore and sell. I never picked up a vintage razor before where the box and scales looked so good and the blade so bad. Luckily the blade side with the etching was not that bad at all. Most of the rust was on the tang and the opposite side of the blade on the spine of the razor.
       Once I got the blade in good shape the honing process began. I wont get into it in depth here but I would like to blog some time on my honing technique. I am by no means a honemeister, but I have come up with a method that works and I think absolutely anyone can do it and do it well. In my opinion the key is taking your time, being careful, and being patient. More on that another time!
       Ok so the Kama came out beautiful. I prepped well tonight, took my time, and performed my first straight razor shave in months. My prep consisted of a hot water face wash followed by application of about 4 drops of mentholated PSO. After that I did a final pre-shave strop. Then I lathered the WSO Lime. This Lime smells fantastic to me. I really like the scent. The Vie-Long brush was magnificent in whipping up some serious lather. I applied the lather and took my time starting on the right side of my face. The first stroke was a down stroke and man was I amazed. this 5/8 Kama was fantastic! SO smooth and the feedback was amazing. I mean you could feel everything through this razor. I could not believe how smoothly this sliced the whiskers and how much it felt like an extension of my fingertips. Being a 5/6"it was very maneuverable. Even my neck area, which is usually my prob spot with a straight, went smooth as silk.
       I finished off the shave, very impressed with this razor and thrilled wit the product performance. Cold water splash to the face, patting it dry leaving a bit of moisture, applied the WSO LIme Aftershave Blash, inspected. Very fine shave. Face felt fantastic.
       Now comes the dilemma, I had every intention of selling this Kama. Now I in no way shape or form want to get rid of it. This is the situation that arises when doing restores. So often when you get done you have put some much time in and brought something back to life. It is hard to let it go. On top of that if you use it and it performs as well as this Kama did, no chance.  I really want to keep this razor! I suppose we will see!
       I hope everyone had a fantastic Saturday Shave. Join me for my WSO Shave of the Day here on the blog. Mondays is the Vintage Razor Review Shave of the Day, Now Saturdays it seems will be The Saturday Straight Shave of the Day. In between I have DE, Injectr and SE Shave of the Days. Thanks for joining me tonight!
Enjoy Your Shaves!
Regards,
Jim@WetShaveObsessiom

PS: One more Pic of this Beautiful Kama!
        

No comments:

Post a Comment