Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2014

WSO Sunday Straight Shave- The Friendship Shave...

Sunday 5/11/2014
Wostenholm Genuine Pipe Razor (shorty)
Vie-Long 13052- 21mm Horsehair Brush
LEA Shave Stick
WSO Pre-Shave Oil
WSO Vetiver Shave Soap
WSO Vetiver Blash
The Friendship Shave


          So tonights shave is called the friendship shave. Both the Brush and the LEA stick are gifts from friends at TheShaveNook. This hobby of wetshaving and particularly the WetShaveObsession portion of it has allowed me to meet and make so many fantastic friends. That continues to be the case. It is one of the best parts of this entire WetShaveObsession undertaking. At any rate to my 2 friends that so generously gave these items to me I say Thank You. I enjoyed using them both very much and will continue to do so. Your generosity is sincerely appreciated. I am honored to call you both friends.
       So tonights shave went pretty well. I did however catch myself with the Wostenholm right at the top of my cheek. An outburst from my 2 year old son caused me to suddenly turn my head just as I was about to start a stroke with the straight. It was a bad one. A good inch long. 
I also got a nick on the bottom of my chin as well. Both of these fall firmly on me of course. This razor gave a very nice shave, It is a shorty, the end of the blade broke and it has been shortened and a barbers notch (which you cant see in this pic oddly enough) has been ground into the end of the razor. Even as a shorty it is a heavy razor. It shaved very good but I did feel a bit out of touch with the razor. More like it was controlling me rather than I was controlling it. It is a bit hard to explain. I am sure as I use it more my technique with it will improve. I love the razor and it will be with me for a long time. I think I will be rescaling it in wooden scales as I feel a razor of this age it just feel right in wood scales. Maybe spalted maple, maybe walnut I am not sure yet.
       The brush was great. I am telling you I love these horsehair brushes. More and more I am thinking that the boars can go and maybe even the badgers thinned out in my brush rotation. I am not quite ready mentally to part just yet but I can see it happening in the future.
       The software performed very well although post shave I was thinking perhaps this would have been a good night for a Lime or a WHite Lightning (menthol) as it is a very hot humid night here in Pa. All in all I am very pleased especially with the performance of the Blash. With  the cut and nick the Blash performed great. It helped stop the bleeding and soothed my entire face. It did cool things down and felt great. I can see me using Blash in the Spring, Summer and early Fall and the Balm in the Winter. Not as a steadfast rule but generally speaking it seems that is how it is just naturally shaking out.
       Thanks for joining me for the Sunday Straight Friendship Shave. All in all a good shave that reminded me how much more I have gotten out of wetshaving and WetShaveObsession than just this hobby itself. I am a very lucky person.
       Enjoy Your Shaves!
        Regards,
         Jim@WetShaveObsession


No comments:

Post a Comment